Monday, September 13, 2010

My First Assignment in My Poetry Class

Rich Kids Playing War
By Brian Rhoads


I spent last week crawling in Afghanistan
amidst air conditioning, walls decorated
with images of plentiful Thanksgiving dinners
and too many pillows and Cheez itz.
I heard a little boy’s voice,
Innocent, naïve, non-comprehendible.
Could not have been older than 8;
a child has no purpose with war whatsoever.
Fourteen year olds shout curse words
and sing their tone deaf melodies
because their parents are asleep
on the other side of the house.
The young child cries hate
while his father defends
that his boy is in training for his forcible future.
If only he knew
that that is what is wrong with the world.
Oh, the lessons taught by Xbox.



I will post my teacher's/classmate's feedback. Post yours, friends!

No comments: