Thursday, October 20, 2011

I can bake cookies...

I am a stand up comic. Although I have been performing stand up since June of 2005, it wasn't until three years ago that I finally felt comfortable labeling myself as a comedian. Whenever anyone would discover that I was somewhat associated with comedy, I would never really know how to answer their questions. I still refuse to call myself a professional comedian, given that I am not paying bills with money earned from performances. It is a dream and hobby that I enjoy and wish to pursue. Stand up comedy has provided some of my fondest memories and has helped me grow into the person that I am today. The experience is absolutely priceless, and I wish for everyone to experience how wonderful the feeling truly is. With hard work, I feel that anyone can become a comic.

Given that, I have been involved with the "comedy scene" for a while now and have heard/read multiple people rant and rave their different opinions about "what it takes to be a stand up comic" or whatever the fuck. I am annoyed and fed up with how people, who will remain unidentified, view comedy and often times, abuse it. Yes, it is just a matter of difference in opinions, but I have done close to one thousand shows over my six years of participation and have seen just about every type of comedy enthusiast. Here are some scenarios that bother me:

Scenario 1: You are the funniest person at work/in your group of friends.
Response: Cool, dude. That's rad, but it does not make you a comic.

Scenario 2: You are an actor and feel that comedy comes second nature.
Response: Go to hell. All you want is more stage time and you are an asshole.

Scenario 3: You have a midlife crisis and feel that stand up comedy will reinvent you.
Response: Jesus Christ, bro.

Understandably, I sound like a total asshole, but comedy, let alone the entertainment industry, is a difficult field of business to get involved with and succeed no matter where you are geographically. As it is currently, the Arizona "comedy scene" still is not big enough to spark a career into super stardom. It may pay bills, but unless you move somewhere else, you will remain in Arizona constantly looking over the fence admiring the grass. Do not misconceive my message; there are several people in Arizona with outstanding talent. I just want people to include rationality when hyping themselves over their comedy dream/hobby. I will be the first to admit that I am still incredibly far from achieving "professional" comic status, and accept comedy as a hobby at this point in time. My job is where I go to work, where they eventually pay me, above minimum wage, for my services. Comedy is a hobby that I like to partake in whenever I can. I want to be a professional stand up comedian, but that will be further down the road, if at all. I encourage everyone and anyone to follow their heart's desires pertaining to comedy, but please, call it like you see it.

I take comedy very seriously. I, like most the people I know, have a deep passion for it and become frustrated whenever someone treats comedy as an easy solution. I can bake cookies, but it doesn't make me a god damned baker. Anyone can tell a joke, but if you are not paying bills with your comedy, you are not a professional comedian.

Comedy may be something different to you than it is to me, and I accept that people may consider me an egotistical douchebag for my opinions. That is fine. I guess I just need to stop reading other comedy enthusiasts' blogs and getting pissed off. Comedy is like any other hobby: there will always be someone else who takes it way more seriously than you do, and will never see you as an equal. Get used to it.

No comments: