Friday, November 5, 2010

I think this is my best poem.

The prompt was about being stuck in an elevator by yourself.


Sorry I was late

All I wanted was a bag of Funyuns
and the fourth floor vending machine

to have some. Onion flavored rings
will solve everything.

I’ve been staring at “L” for 23 minutes
now contemplating what I have done

paralyzed with how dumb
this excuse sounds.

Shouting for help does nothing,
but make me feel like I’ve tried

everything. Nothing. No help.
“In case of fire or Funyuns, use the stairs.”

I once saw a Youtube clip of a man
trapped in an elevator for 41 hours.

Man,
fuck.

Cell phone at the desk
I am unvoiced.

I check my watch as if it could
shoot a laser to carve myself an escape.

The reflection forces me to stare at the face
of my reckless decision.

I am a fish whose owner went on vacation
and may possibly never come back.

I could be here for a while.
All I wanted was a bag of Funyuns.

No comments: