Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Two Weeks Notice

I woke up Monday morning and immediately wrote my two weeks notice. It was an exhilarating experience despite the actual length of my notice. The letter in its entirety:

February 7, 2010


To Whom It May Concern:

I am sad to inform you that this is my two weeks notice. My last day of work will be Sunday, February 21, 2010.

Best of luck,

Brian C. Rhoads

I left it on the manager's desk as I was finished closing the store. I wanted to say so much more about how that store has sucked out my soul and robbed me of whatever innocence I may have had left. I've been happier ever since. Dobbins asked me today how I felt and I could not summon up the words due to an overwhelming amount of thoughts that ran through my head.

Tuesday night I passed a man who was obviously fucked up and holding a handful of change on my way to class. Along with his defeated slouch, he was sporting a San Francisco 49ers jacket (that I'm sure was fresh in the 90's) and a black trucker hat with no logo. He approached me and held out one quarter and murmured the words, "Hey, yo, bro, I know you gots the sugar. Hook me up with some sugar." Sadly, I did not come through with the sugar and continued walking. The man begins walking behind me at approximately 5 paces behind and proceeds to ask everyone passing us for sugar. It was tight. It was like he knew that I wanted to hear as much of his daily interactions as possible.

I was heading to my Harlem Renaissance class, the class where white kids feel they get the green light to say the 'n' word as much as possible. Notable characters:
1) "Desperately Trying to Be Different" Girl - She has a wild haircut and wears the same denim jacket with a "The Cramps: Bad music for bad people" patch safety pinned to the back of it. Isn't she unique? I overheard her exchanging jokes with other classmates. When it was her turn, she said,"Ummmm, well, what's the difference between roast beef and pea soup? Anyone can roast a beef, but no one can pee soup!!! I heard that on iCarly." For those of you who do not know what iCarly is, be happy. My only justification for knowing this shit is my seven year old niece.
2) "Girl Who Desperately Wants to Be the 'Desperately Trying to Be Different' Girl" Girl - She constantly glances over at Example 1 for an indication of how to react to nearly everything. All that will make her happy is Example 1's acceptance. She is also mad dumpy.
3)Crazy Asian Lady - This one is my favorite. She is in her sixties and can barely speak any English. I am not mocking her for either one of these traits, but what you also need to know is that she is fucking crazy. She will utter a half-coherent sentence whenever she wants and has also been asked kindly by several people in her vicinity to stop grabbing their shit. On several occasions, I have seen her eat a bag of chips by holding the bottom of the bag with her hand and eating straight out of the bag with her mouth. Tight.

1 comment:

Alecia said...

dude...that's how i'm going to eat chips when i'm old. decision MADE.